8/23/16

A Tale of Two Races...

...or something like that.

August 14th was the George Wyth MTB Race in Waterloo, Iowa. August 21st was the Sugar Bottom Scramble in Solon, Iowa.

Two races. Two tales.

Both had blue skies...

Blue Sky!

Both had sweet condition singletrack...

Sugar Sweet Singletrack

George Wyth is a flat course. Sugar Bottom has climbs.

My FTP for a flat course is lower. My FTP for a course with climbs is higher.

That's typical for my body type (tall, thin) which means a rider with more muscular mass usually trumps me when it comes to FTP on a flatter course.

I struggled at the George Wyth MTB Race trying to produce enough power to move along. I even fell in the mud when my bike jack knifed like an 18 wheeler which sent me tumbling down into the mud. I wasn't dead last, but right next to it coming in 5th Place in my age class.

I was in better form at the Sugar Bottom Scramble and although the course and race were longer, I did not feel as cooked at the Finish line and felt bike handling and my power output was much better throughout. Again, I was not dead last. but not far from it coming in 19th out of 23 (and two of those behind me were mechanicals). No twinges of cramping and I felt that nearing the end of my 2nd season racing in COMP, I am starting to adapt to the longer races over the Sport category distances used in Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin that I raced for so many years. Nebraska's CAT II Sport is a longer duration equivalent of our COMP distance, so doing a couple of those races per season helps race stamina as well.

Recap: After wondering why I did so well at the Tranquility Tire Tantrum one weekend, felt I did so poorly at the George Wyth MTB Race, and then bounced back and felt like I did well at the Sugar Bottom Scramble - it reminded me of the reality I have two different FTP's depending on the terrain. I do better when there are hills involved.

BannerExtraCredit

Last week involved a flight out to San Francisco to drive back with my daughter following her summer internship that she did with Honest Tea. Before leaving, she took me to Farmerbrown's in San Francisco where I indulged in some good southern cooking via a plate of chicken and waffles.

Untitled

(That's my daughter's Cobb Salad in the foreground which I helped polish off as well...)

We drove back in two marathon days taking turns behind the wheel with 3-4 hour stints. An overnight stop in Park City, Utah and a great pizza at Maxwell's which I highly recommend if you are in the Park City or Salt Lake City area. It was the only place open near our motel serving food late at night, and it turns out it was featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. They also had a great choice of beer to go with it. The drive across Wyoming and Nebraska are always tedious, but we made good time and rolled into Indianola about 12:30 a.m. after we stopped for dinner in Lincoln.

Monday was plumbing day to replace the kitchen faucet. We chose one at Lowe's on Saturday and it is now installed and working properly. Had to go from our previous 4 hole arrangement and use the included plate to turn it into a "two hole" configuration...

Untitled

Now it is back to getting the trails in shape, and everything lined up for this weekend's race at Lake Ahquabi that I host - The Mullet Fall Classic. My son and I hit a yellow jacket nest yesterday while trimming trail. He got nailed several times as he was ahead of me with the jet pack Stihl leaf blower, and I was behind him with the Viper. He started waving his arms and ran off, and I realized quick enough what was going on and only got bit twice. My left hand is all swollen and stiff this morning (not to mention the itch!).

Untitled

I should probably take some Benadryl and ice it.

My right hand to compare the puffiness of my left one with it...

Untitled

My son got a big one on his stomach that is swollen. Unfortunately, I have to locate that nest as it is right where riders will be riding their bikes. I've done it before out there when a nest was in a section of the race course, and it involves going out at night when they are all in the nest sleeping and pouring my concoction in their hole which takes care of the problem. But first, I have to venture back and find the actual location of the nest in the ground. It's actually only about 35 yards away from one I had to take care of three years ago. I think we'll carry an EpiPen with us today in case we get hit!

No comments: