4/12/16

Dos Niner upgrade...

Season Seven for my Slippery Silver Salsa Dos Niner commences on Sunday.

Wow, try and say that 10 times fast!!!!

The last image that Salsa posted on their website of the Dos Niner before they pulled the plug in 2010 on this frame as a product they make.

DosNinerWebSite

Many of us still love the frame and handling of this bike on XC singletrack for races. It's got a special something, something that very few other bikes have. Because of that special something, something - I decided it was worthy of a rejuvenation. Purchasing parts I could use on another bike in case the Dos Niner frame gives up on me, I sallied forth into the project.

I stripped the parts off the frame down to just the frame, seatpost collar, bottle cage, and Chris King headset.

Untitled

Then I put all the new kit on the bike: Roval Control SL wheels, new Renegade 2.3's, XTR race brakes, XTR shifter, XTR rear clutch derailleur, XTR 11-40 cassette, Shimano 11 speed chain, Race Face Next carbon cranks, Xpedo Ti pedals, Easton 720mm carbon bar, Specialized CG-R seatpost, WTB carbon saddle, Specialized Enduro size XL lock on grips, Fox 32 fork with remote, custom stickers for the Fox fork, Race Face BB - and well, here it is....

Untitled

Weight Weenie right out of the box from industry standard kit available for all to purchase. Gone are the days of digging through global websites looking for Ti bolts, odd stems, pieces that were weight weenie approved but hard to find. It's much easier these days - and everything I bought was on sale!!!

Untitled

21.73 pounds out of the box for a size XL shed nearly 3 pounds from how I was running it the past few years. Well, actually 2.63 pounds, but that is significant once one has trimmed the body down for racing.

WWDosNiner

Untitled

Custom stickers...

Untitled

Silver to match the frame (and the FOX orange stickers went right in the trash where they belong)...

Untitled

Experimenting with stems and bar height (this configuration as an option was removed after two turns and I slammed the stem - much better)...

Untitled

I tried a 75mm stem yesterday. I will flip it negative and try it today. This has been the hard part for me to figure out on paper since I went from a 660mm bar with more sweep, to a 720mm bar with less sweep. So I simply have to experiment to find what works the best. Final weight of the bike will be determined by the stem, but it won't be that much less weight than the Thomson 110mm that is on there. At most, up to 40-50 grams less. Or I might just stick with the Thomson 110 (10mm's shorter than the 120mm I've been running for years).

Too many new things are new on this bike to compare apples to apples. Suffice it to say, on the initial singletrack ride last night, the stiffness of the fork and 15mm TA made a noticeable difference over the older 2008 REBA Race fork (was a well known noodle). The climbing is, as I suspected, well supported and very efficient at this weight and with this build.

I've spent time on a 1 x 11 (and a 1 x 9) - so that is not new to me, but is to this bike. XTR is sweet. Really sweet. I like all matters SRAM and Shimano, but this XTR kit is special. I mean really special. Super smooth shifting, great lever feel and the spacing on the rear cassette is excellent.

The wide bar is fun and only gave me issues that required slowing on the one tight spot at Banner down in the low Corner Pocket the first time through, on the second loop - no problems. The 75mm stem was angled too upright yesterday to make that particular one I had (from my parts bin) the chosen. Flipped it negative and voila! Paydirt!!! Front end stayed down. Bike knifed left and right through the tight singletrack.

I can get that sweet spot with a Thomson 70mm and depending on the degree of rise, with or without spacers to match this configuration...

Close Up

Untitled

Trial Stem & What to order

More later, but the Dos Niner lives on with this makeover. A few more tweaks to dial it all in and say it ten times fast...

Season Seven for my Slippery Silver Salsa Dos Niner commences on Sunday. 

No comments: