3/4/15

Midway Point in Germany...

This week is our midway point of our time in Germany. So - yes - we had mid-term exams and projects the past week and all grading was submitted yesterday.

Today I had an appointment with the 4 students that live outside of the jurisdiction of Schorndorf proper to go to Waiblingen with their passports, supporting documents, passport pictures, and the 100 Euro fee each to get their residency permits. Our appointment was at 11 am which meant we could not hold class this morning as we needed to leave at 10:18 to make our appointment. All went well and I had lunch with the 4 students at Waiblingen after they were all finished getting finger printed. The old part of town had a highly recommended restaurant on the top floor of this building, the Altes Rathaus...

Untitled

I think I overdosed on meat and potatoes with this meal as it was delicious, but was a huge pot of meat and potatoes (enough for about 3 people to eat). I'm hankering for something besides meat and potatoes which seems to be all I get over here for hot meals.

Back in Schorndorf they were holding an open air market that they only do to this magnitude 2 x per year (arts and crafts, food, clothing, and everyone selling their wares)...





I was full from lunch, so I didn't buy any food. And most of the vendors were selling what I would classify as Ronco products, or junk. So I wandered through it all and then went home to suit up for the day's scheduled training ride.

I knocked out my Zone 4 intervals up in the mountains on the gravel fire roads, then cooled down by riding to Plüderhausen to see how quick of a ride it "could" be for two of our students who are with host families in Urbach and Plüderhausen. It took me 8 minutes to get from the school to their towns, and about 11:30 coming back due to the wind. The good news is that a turn I kept missing the past 7 weeks was due to one of the signs being turned and twisted so all of the arrows point to the wrong towns. I've been wanting to ride to Schwäbisch Gemünd along the river and train tracks - about 25 kilometers from here to the east - but following the signs would get lost and end up looping around. Today I finally figured out why due to a sign that somebody has tinkered with by twisting it.

So I have Sunday's route all ready to go with the promise of mid-50's weather.

Before that, though, is our one and only trip to the former East Germany as we are going to Weimar. Lots of historical reasons we are going to Weimar with regard to our classes, but suffice it to say that I am pretty excited to go there. Nietzsche, Liszt, Schiller, Goethe, Wagner, Bauhaus, Hitler, the Hitler Youth Movement, Otto II, Buchenwald and the list goes on. I will be taking pictures and reporting on the weekend trip...


No comments: