11/30/14

Post Thanksgiving calorie burn...

No need to deny that we joined everyone else in the US by downing 3000 - 4000 calories on Thursday, and then again with the leftovers on Friday.  Ma Nature dialed in a 57 degree day yesterday (which was up from the 2 degrees on Thanksgiving morning) and led to a husband/wife Fall ride out and about to burn 1400 of those calories.

The snow was melting, the pavement was sweating and in various areas there was plenty of moisture to kick up off of the tires.  Tara stopped as we cruised through the Summerset State Park loop...



I was riding the mountain bike today due to all of the moisture, sand, salt and grit on the roads from what they dump around here when it snows...



The ride to Carlisle was fairly easy with a nice tailwind.  Arriving in Carlisle, I realized I was being fueled only by a piece of pumpkin pie that I had eaten about an hour before we headed out.  So I stopped at the Casey's and got a Snickers Almond small bar to chow down to fuel my ride home against the wind.

Turning against the headwind jacked the heart rate up about 12 beats to maintain the same speed, but we tucked down and headed south.  The sun was shining, but was blocked at times by a very thin cloud covering.  Yet it was still Fall temperatures in the 50's and it was nice to be out grinding away.

We stopped at the new icon entitled Beneath the Maples on the Simpson Campus to get a shot of the icon...



Once home, I dived into making my traditional turkey casserole.  While it cooked, I got busy preparing a speech in German for an event in January.  We all dove into the casserole when Tara pointed out I forgot to put the bag of peas I purchased into it.  RATS!  Oh well, maybe next year. Dessert was a bottle of special Eiswein from the Burgenland in Austria that I had been given as a gift. Yum!  Add that to the calories consumed column.

Temperatures are down to 19 this morning with howling winds, which will make the choice of today's calorie burn most likely of the indoor variety.

No comments: