10/6/14

What a weekend!!!!

It is no wonder I slept for 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night after the busiest week of the year for me.  Not even the dogs could stir me before 7 am this morning!!!!

Services on Friday night (2 hours), Saturday morning (2 hours), Saturday afternoon (4pm, 5pm and 6 pm - which morphed into the 7 pm service) singing with this excellent group of musicians...

TempleChoir

...made for a spiritual and musical highlight this Yom Kippur.  Not being Jewish, it is pretty easy to follow along with all the Old Testament stuff due to the similarities to my upbringing in the United Methodist Church.

Tara awoke long before the crows were up on Sunday morning and I think was out of the house at 4 am on her way to the airport and California.  I managed to sort of stay awake, then get ready for The Mullet Fall Classic race day which had me out of the house by 6:30 am with my U-Haul behind the Element to drive down to Lake Ahquabi and set up shop.

Bob Matthews pulled in about 15 minutes later and we went to work to make The Mullet happen.  Lake Ahquabi at 7 am...

image

The trail was groomed to perfection and in perfect condition for racing.

image

image

image

Bob and Andy built a nice zig-zag style maze at the start/finish area to please spectators and provide for plenty of heckling and teasing that went on during the racing...

image

image

160 racers toed the line this year (down from last year where we had 168) and enjoyed sunshine, fall weather (high was 64), potluck, a beer garden, a generous prize table (ended up with 134 prizes)...

image

...awards, fun, and frivolity to end the 2014 IMBCS season.   I had a tremendous group of volunteers that handled registration, timing, course set-up/tear-down, marshalling duties, prize table distribution duty, potluck, gopher duty, and could not be more pleased with each and every one of them.

After the long day, and very successful day of racing - I rolled out of Lake Ahquabi State Park at 7:12 pm confident we had left the park in a better condition than we had found it 12 hours prior.  I got home, had dinner with Zack and was sound asleep by 9 pm.  The High Holy Days singing, the lead up to the race, and the race day itself took a lot out of me.  All good, but combining the two on the same weekend was more draining than I thought it would be 10 months ago when I scheduled everything.

Since I did not race The Mullet this year by choice so I could focus on being an actual race director, I went out after work today to ride 2 laps at race speed.  I wanted to jump start the legs and just see where I would have stacked up on my home course.  It's always difficult to emulate true race conditions when riding by yourself, but I tried as best I could.  I had turned 32:16 laps the prior weekend on Sunday and Monday making sure I had the course set up right for this year.  Not having ridden since Monday, and without any warm-up after work -  I turned two laps in 1:04:35.  My 2nd lap was a minute quicker than my first lap as I was warmed up and in the groove.  Not a fair comparison, but had I rolled a 1:04:35 if I had raced on Sunday it would have been good enough for 3rd overall in CAT II Sport, and 1st in my age group.  At least it was good enough for my peace of mind.  More importantly, I got to see the course in the counterclockwise direction in the same conditions all the racers saw it yesterday.  It was perfect and really, really fun. 

I'm sorry not more could experience it, but I realize people are busy, some are under the weather, and a myriad of reasons always leads to who shows up and who doesn't show up.  In spite of that, I was really pleased with how the event turned out this year as I thought it was my best effort of the 7 years I have hosted this race.  Ma Nature has been more than kind to me each and every year.  For that, I feel very fortunate....

No comments: