10/3/14

Singing tonight, and all day tomorrow...

Tonight at sunset begins with the Kol Nidre service to usher in Yom Kippur....

YomKippur

I'll be singing the service tonight, as well as starting tomorrow morning at 10 am with continuous services until a bit after 7:00 pm when the fast is broken.  Yes, that is a big, long day tomorrow with lots of great music on tap for me to sing.

Special thanks to my colleague at Simpson - Jamie Poulsen - for the arrangement of Avinu Malkeinu with organ.  Hey, when two United Methodist Minister's sons get together - we can do great things!  ;-)  It's quickly become my favorite prayer to sing this year.  It mirrors the version Sherrill Milnes recorded with Jon Spong.  Milnes sang in Janowski's Temple Choir in Chicago in the early 60's and nailed the style in his recording.  I'm sure working with Janowski would have been fun.  I have to assume that Milnes sang it in the style Janowski taught it to him, so of all the versions I've listented to - I keep going back to the Milnes version as a reference. 

In honor of Yom Kippur and the great prayer, here's Jan Peerce singing the great Janowksi piece as originally written...



No comments: