4/18/14

Blasting through the singletrack...

Spring riding has been great the 2nd half of this week.  I'm in week #2 of my 12 week build period, so I have been sticking closely to the structured rides and training.  Monday's snow was fine as I was inside lifting weights, Tuesday had me inside before work on the LeMond pounding out 4 x 12 Zone 4 intervals (that fired up the metabolism for the day!!!), Wednesday had me do a 2 hour recovery ride on the road bike out in the crazy 40 mph wind....

Thursday called for Zone 5 intervals, but the singletrack dried out and came calling big time yesterday.  I took the RIP 9 with the 1 x 9 drivetrain to smash and blast through the Banner Pits trail system...

image

I figured I would manage to get some Zone 5 work in the bank by riding out on the singletrack.  Maybe not the structured 4 x 4 intervals with an exact 3 minutes of rest between each like I would be able to monitor closely on the LeMond or my road bike, but enough to qualify. 

Sort of....

It almost worked!  I managed to bank 13 minutes and change in Zone 5, but fell short of the 16 minute goal.  Oh well, the fun of blasting through the singletrack for 3 loops at Banner was well worth it yesterday.  Especially since riding outside - and especially riding singletrack - was so elusive all Polar Vortex Winter long.  The singletrack at Banner is running fast and firm at the moment after the wind and sun baked in the clay dirt to super fast surface conditions.   I did 2 of those laps with Al Boone who always claims he's not in shape to go fast, yada, yada, yada....and then makes me work like a dog as if we were in a race the entire time.  Al, your bluff is no longer being listened to by me.  You're ready to race!

Kudos to trail master Bob Matthews, and to Joe Short, as well as Garrett for banking some TLC hours at Banner.  I spent 45 minutes in the AM picking up limbs, small trees, and spoke/derailleur destroying fodder at Banner before work due to the high winds on Wednesday and the post DNR controlled burn of the park.  I went back after work to do a bit more and found that Bob, Joe, and Garrett had plucked and groomed the entire trail system!!!!   Wow!   That allowed Al and I to blast through the singletrack.  I lost my front tire on one turn where I got a bit excited trying to pull away from Al and I leaned a bit too much (bad technique) on a sharp curve covered with leaves.  No biggie, I had to put a foot down and then clip back in as Al caught back up to me. 

We finished our blasting through the singletrack loops and I had to run off to shower, eat and get to school for the first Studio Recital of my students that began at 8:30.  I thought they all did a very fine job as it featured one freshman, one sophomore, one junior, and one senior.  Next Tuesday is my second Studio Recital where 8 more of my students will sing.

Speaking of blasting through.....I am about to blast down and through the 173 pound barrier!!!!  I was at 173.2 pounds this morning which means I am circling in on and about to pounce on my target of 170.  I am amazed at how this is helping me on the climbs, walking up hills, general energy, and realization that I have been carrying around a spare tire that I was a bit in a boat on the river DeNial over the past decade.  Now I am back to my fighting weight that I kept most of my singing career where I stayed between 167 and 174.  Well, up until about 2001/2 that is before I started packing it on and leads me to the entire decade just ending.  But more on all of that with the reasoning, and results later once I reach my goal weight in about 2 or 3 more weeks....

The three day Easter weekend begins tonight at 5:15 when I walk out of the office to head home after my last lesson of the week.  Banner Bunny Ride at 9 AM on Saturday to get in some more excellent singeltrack with like minded riders before the rain hits on Saturday evening and Sunday.  We've ordered a leg of lamb for Easter.  Alexa arrives home late tonight (10 PM or so) after her last exam that starts at 8 PM on a Friday night!  What is that all about?  Who schedules an exam on a Friday night at 8 PM at a University on Easter weekend?  I need to personally drive over to Iowa City and examine that professor's noggin'...

Ride your bike.  Clear some trail.  Build a trail.  Enjoy your family.  Worship.  Praise.  And enjoy the Spring weather that we are scheduled to have (in the mid 70's here in Indianola all weekend).

Have a great weekend

No comments: