4/26/14

Attempted Challenge Almanzo tire repair....

I ran across this web page with detailed instructions on fixing tread delamination on cross tubular tires with some E6000 glue.  This exactly what one of my Almanzo tires showed up out of the box looking like brand new, and the other turned that way after one or two rides.

Damn frustrating to say the least.  I hesitate to say these tires are "great" with this going on, but they do ride really well.  If I cannot get them repaired or replaced, I may have to look for another 28-30mm wide tire that would serve me well for pavement/gravel/go anywhere riding.

Here's the front tire out of the box with the defect...

 image

There were about 7 or 8 spots that had developed like that, so I figured I would give it the old college try following Big Al's directions at Bikeman.com.

I got the bike in the stand late Friday afternoon and gave it a thorough Spring Cleaning...

image

Tara and I attended Indianola High School's Spring musical production of Sondheim's Into the Woods on Friday night.  They did a phenomenal job with it and had the right combination of talent to pull it off.  In fact, collectively, it is one of the most talented groups they have had at one time.  We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. 

Saturday afternoon, I had the bike in the stand and hit it with the E6000 glue, foil, duct tape, scissors, paper towels...

image

The bike will remain in the stand with the repairs showing and will dry for a good 24 - 48 hours before I unveil the repair spots to see if it actually worked.  If not, maybe I'll hit it one more time with more glue before giving up on the tires.

image

Turning attention away from bikes and problem tires, I had a rehearsal with the orchestra on Thursday night for tonight's Simpson Music Gala.  Here I am rehearsing James Poulsen's orchestral setting of an Edgar Allen Poe letter that he sent to his mother...

EdgarAllenPoeSong

Photo courtesy of Dave Camwell

I hated having to miss one of the Psycowpath XC races in Omaha today, but with this morning's rehearsal with orchestra and tonight's gala concert - I couldn't do it all.  We have our first IMBCS race at Seven Oaks in Boone next Sunday, so I am looking forward to that.

I'll be singing the Poulsen piece along with a duet from Don Pasquale tonight at the gala concert.  The three day gala weekend wraps up tomorrow with one more concert.   I trust everyone is enjoying their weekend as the Spring weather delights.  All the best to the Trans Iowa crowd, and the Psycowpath crowd for great events.

No comments: