3/28/14

Racing time!!!!

Tomorrow is the 1st mountain bike race of the year for me.  I will be heading to Swanson Park in Bellevue for the first of the Nebraska Psycowpath Series races this season.  Temperatures are forecast to be mostly sunny with highs in the 58-60 degree range (Sunday will be 77 and sunny!!!).  Race time should be about 50 degrees, so no worries about overheating.  In fact, I will want to choose appropriate clothing that keeps me warm, but not too warm.

The month of March, as reported in my previous post, has been the third month of my planned slow march south in the loss of weight.  Today's weigh-in was 174.8 pounds.  That's down from 180.2 on March 1st for a loss of 5.4 pounds or 1.35 pounds per week which is within reason for my cautious and calculated weight drop to not hinder training performance (1 to 1.5 pounds per week).  And it is down from 187 on January 6th when base training began.  The belt has moved in two whole notches as the waist has gone from 34 to 32 inches.  I still have a little bit of "skinny fat" that should be coming off - and as Tom Anderson suggested in the comment section of my previous post, 170 might be a good target area that I will certainly feel out on the trail when it comes to climbing.   

The past 12 weeks of my structured base training plan has used the set up in the basement of the LeMond trainer and the weights more than previous years due to the severity of this winter keeping me from riding outside more than but a few times.  I believe the secret to indoor riding is a comfortable set up that includes entertainment (big screen television), industrial floor fans blowing on me (and ceiling fans) to keep me cool, and equipment that you trust and are comfortable riding.

A picture that is a bit blurry due to my pedal stroke, but shows the view while on the LeMond at least includes some mindless entertainment...

image

It's been a real gathering place in the evenings for my wife and I (and son) as we work out, watch sports or the Food Network, the news - or mindless episodes/movies.

Update on the Challenger Alamanzo tire...

image

It took a few emails and photographs, but Challenger has agreed to replace my faulty tire.  Here is what they said...

Though not common, it is possible that someone touched the glue during production and it held long enough for the tire to make it through quality control. That tire is definitely covered by our warranty and should be replaced.  

That's good news, and I now have printed out the return labels and information to ship the tire back.  I'll have to use an alternative for the Rengegade Gents Race next Saturday as I doubt the new one will be here in time as there is not enough turn around time without going for Express Mail which ups the $$.  Too bad, as that is the main reason I bought the tires.  I could run the one Alamanzo that is fine on the rear, and pick up a Michelin JET 700x30c cyclocross tire up front - although the reviews I have read for that tire have not been very favorable for performance on gravel.  I'll get something figured out over the next week.

The Des Moines Register did a nice story and also had a video online that talked a bit about bike riding events on gravel here...



On tap for the weekend...

One of my senior students has her senior recital tonight at 8:15.  I will get to watch much of the Cyclones game before the recital since it starts at 6:27 this evening.  Zack heads to St. Paul tomorrow for the Schubert Club finals and I will head to Bellevue.  The Simpson College Madrigal Singers have their Spring Concert at 3 PM on Sunday.  In addition, Sunday promises a nice long gravel/pavement ride to work out the kinks from the race and take advantage of our first somewhat warm temperatures of the year.

Memories abound on important dates for all of us.  Today being my late mother's birthday...

BrownFamily4

No comments: