3/22/14

Gravel Tire Test...

The Challenger Alamanzo tires arrived on Thursday and of course I got them mounted up on my Roubaix as soon as I got home from work so I could see if they would even fit on my bike...

image

They fit perfectly!!!!  

Unfortunately, one of them right out of the package and after I mounted it up, appeared to have a 1" - 1 1/2" section of tread separating from the casing which you can see in this picture...

image

It seems the tread is attached to the casing in these tires much like an 18 wheeler retread tire.  I don't know if they use a glue to attach the tread or what the process is, but I assume that area shown in the photo above will just continue to work itself loose.

Who knows?

Needless to say, I was disappointed with the above tire, so a phone call was made.  I was directed to enter a claim process via their online connections.  That led to an entire email process ensuing with the company where I bought the tires involving me having to send pictures.  Final result from the company where I bought them, since they had nothing to do with the faulty product, is that they determined it was not their issue, and the issue has now moved on to Challenger directly for me to deal with them.  And of course, no response from them before the weekend started - so I will wait to see what happens.  I much prefer it when a store takes ownership, gives you a replacement and takes the faulty one back.  Oh well.

In the meantime on Friday morning before going to work, I did a 33 minute test on gravel with the tires figuring the one with the tread issue is going to end up as toast anyway whether I ride it or not.  So I went off for a nice little spin where I hit untouched by a grader winter hard baked in gravel, freshly graded gravel, a spot or two where new gravel was being dumped, and even one spot where the grader was working on some new gravel at an intersection crossing a county highway.  I hit some washboard bumps, loose gravel, chunky gravel, and pretty much all possible conditions I would face with regard to dry conditions.  I did two large hills to test handling at speeds over 25 mph and have to say - they are very capable and comfortable tires that are perfect for my needs to use the Roubaix on gravel and in a couple of events.  I ran the psi about 60 rear/55 front and lowered that a bit mid-ride. 

Here's a little video of me out and about on Friday morning testing out the Alamanzo tires on some Warren County gravel roads...



The bike after returning home from the test ride on Friday morning...

RoubaixChallengerAlamanzo

I hope I can get a resolution next week with Challenger and get a tire that is not faulty to have in time for the Gent's Renegade Race.

No comments: