12/4/13

The Sound of Music Live!!!.....and a live television opera morning gig...and out of the saddle...

Well...out of the saddle for 2 days that is....

I took 2 days off the bike (outside of my daily dog walks) to recover from a 9 hour on the bike week that I managed to pedal through last week.  Monday was my scheduled day off, and I skipped doing my weights to allow my legs to recover.  Tuesday I worked from 8 AM until 7 PM and was in no mood to hit the trainer when I came home.  In fact, I fell fast asleep by 8 PM watching mindless television while doing some work on the computer.

This week is headed in the direction of a much lower volume and time week due to it being the last week of classes this semester and all of the grading, make-up lessons, and last minute details that puts faculty, students and staff under the usual tremendous amount of semseter ending stress.  I do have some time today to work in some weights and a trainer ride as I attempt to get at least 17 more hours of training end by the end of the month to meet the 420 ATP hours for 2013.

My son, Zack, is singing an excerpt from Amahl and the Night Visitors live on television this morning at 9 AM (KCWI HD 23) on the Gread Day show:  http://www.kcwi23.com/great-day-show/ .  I assume the segment will be available for online viewing later if you miss it.

Meghan and my son Zack representing Simpson College quite well I might add...



Thursday night has long beeen booked by my wife and I for an event we are quite excited about and have been looking forward to watching for many, many months.  It's the live broadcast on NBC at 7 PM CST of the musical The Sound of Music.  This is a remount of the original stage production that starred Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel.  It's not an attempt at anything involved with the movie version that starred Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews that most people know.

Nope - this is a go at the real musical and stars Carrie Underwood, Stephen Moyer, and our favorite - Audra McDonald.  Not to mention, powerhouse Tony Award winner Laura Benanti, will star as the Baroness.  What's interesting is that Laura starred as Maria 16 years ago on Broadway (in the revival) when she was only 18!!!  And the casting of the kids looks like a perfect group.  We watched the segment The Making of The Sound of Music Live last week which is still available to watch here.

The great thing about a musical or an opera is that the piece lives on and survives multiple casts.  So I caution anyone not to get mired in letting the cast - or comparing it to a prior cast (stage or movie version) - deprive you of enjoying it.  The revival on Broadway of The Sound of Music in 1998, and the London Broadway revival version in 2006 (financed by Andrew Lloyd Webber) both featured other casts.  So the musical has certainly moved beyond being tied to one, and only one cast.  Thursday night will feature yet another cast for us to enjoy.

BroadcastCAST-SOM

Needless to say, I highly recommend everyone stop everything they are doing to tune in to NBC on Thursday night for this epic live broadcast of the stage version of one of everyone's favorite old musicals.  It's an historic moment for Broadway to have a live performance aired in this special production that has been made for TV with months of rehearsals.  Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II nailed it on this one back in 1959 and my generation grew up listening to the music.

I think we are going to do an Austrian meal including a bottle of Riesling or GrĂ¼ner Veltliner from the Wachau region with some goat cheese to prepare for it!!!  I've encouraged all of my students to take time off from their studies and paper writing to catch it as well.

If you've got kids and are reading this blog - treat them to this live performance on Thursday night.  You won't regret it!!!!


No comments: