12/29/13

2013 ATP Hours Round Up...

My ultimate goal of logging in 433 hours for the year was hit today!!!!

Thanks to yesterday's temperatures in the 50's, Tara and I got out for a nice road bike ride.  I managed to log in 2 1/2 hours out there as my legs were feeling pretty good and I went back for another segment after Tara peeled off to go home after the first hour.

Today, with temperatures about 50 degrees cooler and in single digits outside with howling winds, I mounted myself up on the C7i in the 70 degree warm basement and ground out 2 hours watching the NFL while sipping on 2 bottles of water.

The start of my 2nd hour where I threw in 15 x 1 minute intervals...

image

It's hard to take a picture while spinning at 89 rpm's!!!  But the ride felt good and I think I am in pretty good shape to enter my base building phase officially after January starts.

My 87 year old Dad is visiting us for 10 days and has been making his way down to the basement to get 20 minutes per day on the LeMond recumbent trainer.  He usually either falls asleep while spinning on it or makes it over to the couch for his "sleepy time".  Here he is all tuckered out after today's 20 minutes and not paying attention to the Packers vs. Bears game...

image

It's been nice having him for a visit as we celebrated his 87th birthday on the 21st, Christmas Eve, Christmas and he will be flying back to Rapid City on New Year's Eve. 

As I've blogged before, I had several ATP goals this year.  Goal one was to usurp last year's hours by 10%.  I hit that goal of 392 hours on November 21st.  Then my Training Peaks goal was for 420 hours which I surpassed in December and the final goal was an annual planned 433 hours which I just hit today!!!

Training Peaks

433 Hours is now in the bag and all I have left is a weight lifting sesson tomorrow which will probably be 30-40 minutes.  Then a rest and recovery week which will really not be a rest.  It will involve snow skiing!!!  A different exercise, but at least a R&R off the bike.

Christmas was held this year with me being the primary chef getting the meal organized and cooked as Tara flew in from San Francisco Christmas Day due to her Christmas Eve flight being overbooked in San Francisco.  They actually wrote her out a check for $783 because of it which covered the cost of a hotel overnight in Chicago and the first seat into Des Moines Christmas morning.

Cooking the meal...

I smoked a 13 pound turkey and used a simple Simon & Garfunkle recipe (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme).  After an 18 hour brine (Alton Brown's brine recipe), I used olive oil and my herbs to wet rub the bird...

image

Three hours on the Big Green Egg at 325 - 375 and it looked spectacular when it came out of the Egg...

image

The bird was very juicy and delicious!!!  We actually got 7 meals out of this bird.  Christmas "Lunner", Christmas night leftovers, two meals of turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, two smoked turkey pizzas and last night we finished off the turkey with spinach salad.

Back to Christmas Day:  Of course, I made a nice organic cranberry, apple and fresh squeezed orange sauce...

image

And one has to have some cherry pie...

image

There were roasted brussel sprouts with bacon as well, but I didn't get a photo of those.

It was nice to have 2 weeks of exercise through it all that had enough hours to burn off the calories.  I got 9:20 hours in last week and 9:10 this week.

2 comments:

Iowagriz said...

Congrats on hitting that ATP goal! You had a great year and this will only set you up for a better 2014. I hit 400 on my breakout year, but sadly haven't stayed consistent since then. I'm recommitting to it this year.
Happy New Year - Tom

Bruce Brown said...

Thanks, Tom. Happy New Year to you too!!!!