11/27/13

Frigid Cycling....

Today was day one of my Thanksgiving vacation and it is also the first night of Hanukkah. 

Check out this killer-rad menorah...

bikemenorah

I got a new battery for Alexa's car this morning, cleaned the garage and threw out a lot of junk, and then I upgraded my SRAM shifters and grips.  I decided to take advantage of the sunshine to do a bike ride.  I grabbed the Dos Niner out of the workstand since I wanted to hit some Summerset dirt to see if it was ready for the weekend bacon ride.

The thermometer said 27 degrees, but that was the coldest 27 degrees I can remember out on the bike.  Or at the very least - it is taking me more time to adapt to the new reality of how cold it actually is.  I have cycling gear to ride at temperatures of 100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 and at 0 I usually stay inside except for dog walks.  My winter Shimano shoes really are not too good on long rides when it is below 10-15 degrees.

I bundled up today and left on my ride to go north to Banner Pits for a pair of laps on the singletrack.  I was a bit cool the first 30 minutes - especially my fingers in the light gloves I chose to wear - and wondered if I would ever warm up thinking I had underdressed my hands and core.  Luckily I warmed up on the singletrack and felt fine for the final 2 hours of my ride.

A little facial hair thanks to Movember kept my face plenty warm...

Movember

I think I'll trim that thing into a moustache for the final days of November to be official with the "MO" and then hack it all off ASAP on December 1st.

Anyway, I managed to log in 2:45 on the bike this afternoon which is more than I thought I would get in when I left the house, but I wanted to get some calorie burn going before the big eat tomorrow.

Happy Hanukkah and Thanksgiving to all....


No comments: