11/9/13

Dirty Du Race Report!!!

Today was the 9th Annual Des Moines Dirty Du hosted by Central Iowa Trails Association.  I signed up for the relay with Simpson Alum Brandon Hyde from Fairfield, Iowa.  I've done this race solo quite a few times over the years.  I did it with my daughter as a relay team one year (we won the shortened sprint version relay division) and I did it as a relay with Brandon a couple of years ago.  I had thought about doing it solo again this year, but Brandon sent me a message on Facebook asking if I was doing the race this year and presto - we were entered in the relay division without any more thought. 

Brandon arrived at my house around 11:30 this morning and we headed up to Center Trails in Greenwood Park off of Grand Avenue in Des Moines to check in and get warmed up for the 1 p.m. start of the race.  The weather was perfect for racing with temperatures in the 50's and a nice breeze to keep us cool.

Steve Fuller gave the group the ground rules and directions prior to the race...

SteveFullerDirecting

The runners were to start with a 2 mile lap and mountain bikers would then do 4 laps, and it would end with one more lap by the runners.  The route was different for runners and bikers and it was marked with signs and colored arrows.  We were going in the opposite direction than we had the last time Brandon and I did the event.  Today was to be counterclockwise which I preferred - at least for biking. 

The starting line...

DirtyDuStartLine

Brandon looked strong off the line and was in the 2nd bunch of runners going up the 1st steep hill which gave me hope that he was in pretty good shape this year from his CrossFit, cross country coaching, etc...

DirtyDuBrandonHyde

The first runner came through and tagged off to his biking partner.  Then another.  And another.  And so on and so forth.  It was a long time before Brandon came into the finish area as he had faded quite a bit from the strong start.  No problem, we were there to finish and support CITA.  But I wasn't going to hold back as I was there to grind it out at race speed for the training effect.  I was racing the Dos Niner bike and it felt pretty good out there.  Fast, nimble, and light...

DirtyDuBruceBrown

I stayed behind an excellent solo racer named Michelle who was riding really strong in lap 1.  She kept telling me to go around her if I wanted to, but she was riding really well that I really had no reason to as I was happy with the tempo during that opening lap.  I did pass her going up the pavement climb between the swimming pool and the starting line as I entered lap 2.  I passed about 5 riders total during the 4 laps without anyone passing me.  I felt my laps were consistent and even stronger in the 3rd and 4th laps.  I was out there on the bike for at least an hour before I crossed the line and tagged off to Brandon for his final running lap.

Brandon finished up without too much pain and our relay team was done for the day...

DirtyDuFinsihBrandon

We ended up 4th in the Relay...

DirtyDuRelayResults

And 11th Overall...

DirtyDuOverallResults

We had our photo op and then headed off to a post race lunch at Palmer's Deli...

DirtyDuRelayTeam

Kudos to CITA for the event and to Steve Fuller for his handling of the timing duties.

Banner Bacon ride tomorrow morning at Summerset State Park - 9 a.m. to unwind from the race.

No comments: