7/10/13

RAGBRAI final peak training ride today...

In our attempt to hit the peak training rides at least 10 days before RAGBRAI starts, today is our final distance ride before the taper starts for the event.  Tara has been on a 3 day peak riding spree of 29 miles Monday in the heat, 40 miles Tuesday in the heat, and will end with today's 72 miles with temperatures being 10 degress cooler.

I rode the Great Western Trail with her yesterday with a lunch stop at Mullet's in the heat of the day to acclimate and get in a good Zone 2 with some Zone 3 efforts for 40 miles. 

My knee is healing up from Sunday's crash...

FrozenKnee

But I had to ice it with a bag of frozen green beans before the ride and take some Ibuprofen to endure...

GreenBeans&Ham

After a 30 minute warm up to test the knee and the heat, the GW was the Cat's Meow yesterday with plenty of shade to keep us cool and no traffic to worry about...

Cat'sMeowRide

There were plenty of open areas in the sun to remind us what RAGBRAI will really be like on the hot and humid days...

GWTrail

We got home about 4:30 p.m. and took an hour nap before getting cleaned up to atttend the Des Moines Metro Opera's excellent production of Elektra by Richard Strauss.  It was killer!!!

The wind is gusting today which will make for a bit more of a brutal effort out there, but I won't do the full distance that Tara will do as I am trying to recover for Sunday's XC race.  I've got 243 hours in my legs for the 2013 calendar year to date, so feel I'm as ready as I'll ever be for RAGBRAI.  Tara probably only has about 1/2 of that, but she'll be fine and really wants to pump out some long distance today so she is "sure" she's ready.  Then she'll take a couple of days off and taper into the event.


No comments: