3/14/13

Working through a leg cramp...and the nest is 1/2 empty.

After 9 days off the bike, the dehydration from the 11 hour flight and two consecutive days of Zone 2 this past weekend - I guess I was set up for an interesting Monday.

I felt fine going into the scheduled lower body weight training on Monday and got suited up to do the lifts.  I warmed up on the bike for 20 minutes to get the blood flowing, did some light stretches and loaded the plates on the squat bar.  The first set of 5 was fine.   The second of set of 5 with 10 more pounds of weight was fine.  In fact, everything felt fine and I was on schedule to complete another successful leg lifting session.  Or so I thought....

After loading up the plates for the 3rd set, I tripped over a small foam pad on the floor that Tara uses on her recumbent exercise bike and my upper left leg cramped and seized up.  Ouch!!!

Tough Guy

I haven't cramped in the legs in a couple of years thanks to a good regimen of nutrition, training, rest and recovery.  But it hit me hard.  I grabbed some pickle juice, drank some water, took some endurolytes, massaged and tried to stretch it out - all to no avail.  Monday's workout session was officially over and I had to bag it.  Even though I tried to take in enough water on the long trip back from Germany, I'm pretty sure I was dehydrated and after 9 days of doing several hours a day of walking I think my legs were just missing the rest and the minerals they need.  I ended up taking some Ibuprofen on Monday night to help mitigate the cramp pain in my left leg.

I hit these the rest of the day and on Tuesday as well, along with a few other minerals and more pickle juice sports drink.

Endurolytes

I bounced back on Tuesday and completed my on the bike workout with no issues and the leg felt better.  I even managed to eat a fairly light dinner and fell asleep by 9:30. 

I got up at 4:00 am on Wednesday morning to take Tara and Alexa to the airport.  It is their spring break and they flew out to San Francisco to be with family and friends.  Yes, I wish I could have gone along, but our spring breaks were not the same week this year.  Luckily, with my jet lag, waking up between 3 and 4 am was quite easy to do.  I came home and slept for another 3 hours before heading into a full day of work.  We had a candidate interviewing for a voice position at Simpson, so I went to the luncheon to meet her and I ended up eating way too much.  I nibbled on some bad stuff - as in chips and even a brownie which are both no-no's along with my turkey sandwich, fruit and even was relegated to drinking a Diet Coke - which is also a no-no!!!  I guess I should even toss in that the turkey sandwich had mayo on it from the catering company and it was on a croissant - two more no-no's!!!    It's amazing how one little simple luncheon served to 15 faculty members can be filled with so many terribly unhealthy things.

Ah.....one bad meal isn't the end of the world, but I felt absolutely helpless with the lack of choices and we have 3 more of these lunches in the next two weeks with candidates.  I'll have to plan a strategy like eat the meat off of the croissant, scrape off the mayo, avoid the chips and dessert and bring a bottle of water with me to drink.  Or bring my own food.  Rant over.

The afternoon was non-stop crazy in the office and I didn't leave work until about 6:20 which meant it would be a late dinner (8 pm).

Wednesday was another lifting session (different lifts were on the schedule than I was supposed to have done on Monday), but I decided to try the lower body squats and deadlifts as they are more crucial than what Wednesday called for in the workout.  I was well hydrated, had my minerals and felt good.  Regardless of that, I entered the session with trepidation as to what would happen with my left leg.  Would it seize up in the middle of a squat?  If it did, what would I do with nearly 200 pounds on my back?  Luckily, all reps and sets were pain free and I completed the hour workout without any cramping or issues.  Whew!  The legs are sore this morning as it had been a little more than 2 weeks since I had done a lower body weight lifting workout.

I got a couple of lean 8 ounce New York Strips and broiled them (they were on sale at Hy-Vee for $5.99) to help with the muscle rebuild after lifting the weights, made a fresh springs salad, and baked some sweet potatoes for dinner.  Zack and I devoured it all while watching American Idol.   We had fresh fruit for dessert before hitting the sack. 

No comments: