3/19/13

Trainers 'R Us....

I hit the weights last night after rehearsal and did an hour of lifting from 9 - 10 p.m. before crashing in bed for the night.  No booze at all.  I just crashed from exhaustion of a slight cold and a long day at work.

The dogs awakened me at 6 a.m. ready to start their day with a big bowl of food.  Oy!  Thus began Tuesday, March 19, 2013.

The weather was gorgeous today, but I had no time to ride outside in the upper 30's to 40 degree sunshine.  Faculty meeting, rehearsal with jazz band at 6:30 and the arrival of Tara and Alexa from California.  So....

Instead, I got up at 6 a.m. with the dogs and ate my breakfast to fuel a morning workout.  After several cups of coffee, the morning dog walk, a load of laundry, a load of dishes and a bit of watching CNBC - I suited up to hop on the C7i Trainer.

This is how I felt during the first 15 minutes, or at least the picture of this man reminded me of how I felt....

2Pooped2Pedal

...well....except I don't have a beard, was wearing lycra, have clipless pedals and shoes, and hopefully my hair is not quite that white - yet.

I set my spin rate and jacked it to 202 watts to capture the top end of my Zone 2 and worked through the hour with about a dozen 12 second full out sprints mixed into the equation.  I started the sprints only after I hit the 15 minute mark to make sure I was warmed up and no longer slumped over the handlebars.  ;-)  Something must be coming together with my training as my heart rate for 202 watts is a lot lower than it was 3 months ago going into base training.  It was hanging around 141-144 at that effort once I recovered from each sprint.  

Tomorrow is the first day of spring.  Ha!  

A high of 29 and I just might celebrate by going out early in the morning to ride at Lake Ahquabi on "dirt", or rather "frozen earth".  That's wishful thinking, but I would like to try it out to get some hill work done.  I'm not sick of the trainer, but I am thankful to know that the end of the "Trainers 'R Us" season is just about over - be it this week, next week, or the next. 

No comments: