1/11/13

Hypertrophy Day 1 in the bag...

Ouch!!!  It is that time of year for me.  What time is that you ask?

It's time to load up the plates on the Olympic bar.

squat

So the plates were added on and the legs were accordingly turned to rubber with last night's first session of hypertrophy for the lower body.  The sweet spot for repetitions in each set is 8-12 for hypertrophy.

I focus on the big lifts with the grandfathers of leg lifts:  squats and dead lifts.  I'm taking it easy on the amount of weight - especially with dead lifts this year as form is so critical that building fatigue early really leads to poor form for me.

Sticking to form.

Proper-Squat

After a 15 minute warm up on the bike to get the blood flowing from a rather stationary day at work for me, I did the following routine:

Squats


Two x 8 reps at 145 lbs
Two x 8 reps at 155 lbs
Two x 8 reps at 170 lbs

Dead Lift


Two x 10 reps at 70 lbs
Two x 10 reps at 90 lbs
Two x 10 reps at 100 lbs

Leg Extensions/Leg Curls/Lunges/Calf Raises


Two x 12 reps at various weights
Two x 12 reps at medium weights
Two x 8 reps at higher weights

I did not do this session at an ideal time of day (it was 9 pm at night).  By the time I finished and crawled into bed, I was out like a light for 8 1/2 hours.  The first session of hypertrophy is always the most difficult.  Even though I only did lower body - it was difficult to finish as the squats and dead lifts really tore me down.  I could feel the muscle damage in the two final sets of my squats.

Now to recover in the next week before session #2 with the legs.  Great articles on the amount of time needed for recovery and on the frequency of lifting being a lot less than has been advocated.  I can vouch for the tearing down I experienced in this session of the larger muscle groups are going to need about 5-7 days of recovery if I want to hit it as hard in the next session.  Otherwise, I will just be working a muscle that is in a weakened state and the growth benefits will be thwarted.  Old, wise and smart training required at this point in my life.

It is supposed to be sunny and about 52-55 degrees this afternoon.  I get off of work today at 2:30!!!  Woohoo!  Word is, the Summerset Bike Trail has been plowed and cleared (Simpson Track Team told me that) - so I will try to get a couple of hours on the road bike this afternoon before the sun sets and the temperatures go back into the 20's and 30's for the weekend.

Of interest to Dad:  We dropped my Honda Element off at Smart Honda in Des Moines last night for service (needs a valve job and the air bag light is on).  Tara, Alexa and I had dinner at an Italian restaurant after dropping the car off and sat next to the girls basketball team from Indiana State University (Terre Haute) who were in town to play Drake tonight.  I remember flying to Terre Haute all those years ago....

No comments: