1/10/13

First 2 a day...

Yesterday was my first scheduled "2 a day" for training.  2 a day means, of course, two workouts done on the same day.  The idea is to have a recovery period between the two - in my case one was doing in the morning, and the other at night - where you target two different things.  It's not an ideal way to workout - especially for an over 40 athlete.   However, when integrated properly in a program it can certainly help out the time crunched person.  I only have one of these scheduled every week for the next 3 weeks, so the body should be able to adapt and absorb it.

I had a morning Tempo ride.  Then I was off to a full day at work.  After work, I stopped by the store and picked up some fresh cod, lettuce, bread and a few items on sale while I was at it.  Then I went home and met Tara for the evening workout in the basement.  My evening workout called for upper body weights followed by 45 minutes of Zone 2 "wind down" after the morning's harder effort and the weights.  I booked it all just fine and then headed up for our festival of cod. 

Yum.  An egg wash, some breading, some asiago cheese and in the oven it went.  Sauteed some zucchini, garlic and red pepper for the side.  Baked some multi-grain bread as another side to go with the salad.  It was very tasty (well as much as cod can be tasty that is).

Back to weights.  The main reason an over 40 cyclist would lift weights really doesn't have anything to do with cycling outside of sprints and short steep climbs.  It's more for the testosterone production and bone density benefits (both of which suffer as we age).  Couple that with using the off season to work on our overall fitness and strive for getting a physical balance that we may have lost during the warmer "lets ride outside" months.  I am in the midst of that now along with base building and calculating the workout schedule to achieve both as well as provide enough recovery has been a bit of a double chess match for me, but so far so good.

Plenty of arguments grow out of a group of cyclists' discussion on weight lifting and cycling, but when you introduce the reality of aging and the over 40 athlete - I obviously tip my argument on the side of lifting for the benefits.  I know it makes me feel good and I start a cycling season feeling balanced and strong.

Former professional mountain bike racer turned Tour de France road racer Michael Rasmussen used to be a poster child for the argument of not lifting weights and that the less body weight to carry up the hills, the better.  Here is that famous shot of his physique...

mikerass

Of course now we know with the alleged doping and being booted off of his team and out of the Tour de France that maybe his slender and light weight physique for climbing alone was not the trump card in his cycling success that everyone actually thought it was at the time.

We could say the same about Lance (who always did sport a more muscular physique), but if I had to choose between the Rasmussen physique and one with a bit more vanity for cycling - I'll go with the vanity inspired look.

12 weeks for a body overhaul....?  I don't think I will achieve the same results as the picture below, but I could be happy getting to the Week 4 look before the additional 1.5 kilograms were added in lean muscle mass.  I would have to seriously alter my diet and change my discipline - but at least for now I am lifting and working on the conversion of weight distribution from excess body fat to more lean muscle mass during this off season period.

Joe stages-1

No comments: