11/22/12

Thanksgiving Thanks...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Our Thanksgiving began in earnest on Tuesday when we picked up the 18 pound bird, made the brine to refrigerate overnight, and got things ready for Wednesday and Thursday.  I managed to take advantage of the warm weather and got 2 hours on the bike by riding down to Banner Pits for a full loop and back - all in my my warm weather kit it was so nice out in the 70's.  Two of my former voice students stopped by in the afternoon to visit and sing.  Bethany Hickman and Joe Doering came over and we all caught up on the past year.  And they both sound great!!!  After they left, I mowed the front lawn and then had to stop due to darkness. 

Wednesday evening, I put the turkey in the chilled brine to soak Wednesday night.  Tara made 2 pumpkin pies, 1 apple pie and made the cranberry sauce.

I got up early this morning to get ready for the annual Thanksgiving mountain bike ride on the center trails in Des Moines.  Tara made coffee and I took off about 7:25 to drive up to Des Moines to meet up with what looked to be a big group with temperatures around 60 as the sun was rising.  We had about 87 show up for the 8 am ride (and many more that joined up and arrived late).

The photo is courtesy of Brian Portoff who climbed on top of the Ashworth Pool building to capture most of the early birds in a shot...

ThanskgivingRide

I took the Dos Niner with the sure footed Nobby Nics since both my full suspension bikes have Maxxis prototype test tires on them that I am testing.  I'm not allowed to talk about the test tires, so I figured I better not show up in public at a group ride where somebody might notice, take a picture or what not.  The Dos is super fun with the big meats on it...

Dos Nics profile

We took off and had quite a singletrack train with that many riders strung out wheel to wheel.  I got in about 70 minutes of riding when hunger finally kicked in (I should have had breakfast) and I headed back to the car to load up and go home.  It was a great way to start off the day with perfect weather and fun attitude.

I got home in time to watch the bird go in the oven at 10 am.  The smells all day were making my mouth water and we finally managed to get everything cooked and ready for a 2:15 pm sit down with the family meal. 

Zack working on the gravy and Tara carving the bird....

P1010001

The bird was very moist thanks to the overnight brine...

P1010002 2


Tara provided the Thanksgiving toast and then we dug in full hog.  The meal was delicious and of course, who doesn't eat too much on Thanksgiving?  One helping is enough, but Zack, Alexa and I all hit up for 2nds.  Tara was wise and stopped with one helping.

And then we topped it off with pie...

P1010003 2

The food coma hit while we were cleaning up, and naps were had by all.  I was out about an hour and woke up at 4:15 thinking it was 4:15 in the morning for some odd reason.

Not sure what we will do this evening, but there is talk of a movie.  And there's always leftovers....









No comments: