11/26/12

25 More Days of Fall 2012...

Winter officially starts on December 21st this year, giving us 25 more official days of Fall 2012.  Weather forecast looks pretty good for at least some continued outdoor riding going forward...

December 2012 

In an effort to fight the Butterball and Pumpkin Pie intake, I managed to ride 8 hours outside this past week thanks to the holiday break.  The 2 hours I put in on Saturday were the coldest 2 hours with temps in the low 20's and a stiff wind to boot.  The rest of the 8 hours was pleasant.

Yesterday was the 2nd Bacon & Pancake ride of the season at Banner Pits and we got in a pair of rather quick, heart rate pegged laps in the speedy group led by Rick Blackford, Matt McCutchan, and Kevin Betters (on his FAT BIKE no less).  We actually had french toast made from cranberry bread, cinnamon rolls, crackers/cheese/salami and beer as well to the 5 packages of bacon and honey wheat pancakes we cooked on the Coleman stoves.  There were a dozen to 15 riders there at various times.  Most of us rode before we cooked.  Some rode while we cooked.  And I imagine some rode after we cooked, but I took off to go home for a hot shower and pot of coffee after we cleaned up the outdoor "kitchen".

Bacon#2

I guess I was pretty cooked with the pace we took and it being my last ride day of the week before taking a day off the bike.  I stripped down the wet jersey and cycling jacket to slip into my winter parka, tundra hat (that the dogs ate part of the fur off of recently), Gore-Tex pants and gloves.  Standing around post-ride with the wet sweat in the wind is a sure fire way to get cold rather quickly.  I avoided that and was warm and toasty for the Sunday brunch.

That's me in the tundra gear avoiding the shivers that I saw everyone else experiencing.  Of course, drinking cold beer out in the cold with a bit of a cool breeze and wearing sweat soaked cycling attire is a recipe for the shivers....

CookinBacon

It's a nice tradition that was started last year and a good way to keep turning the cranks through the cold months.

2 comments:

Iowagriz said...

2nd time that I've noticed your 30 day forecast map, what site is that from? Are they reasonably accurate? I have pretty good luck with the standard 10day from weather.com and like the 30,60,90,120 moisture and heat maps from NOA

Bruce Brown said...

It's from Accuweather.com. Of course, anything over a 3 day forecast is witchcraft and guessing - so I don't pay too much attention. I've ready studies that confirm that even a 3 day forecast is highly suspect.