8/17/12

Camping Trip!!!

I packed up the Mercury Villager mini-van last night with all the camping gear for a 3 day tent camping weekend. Rustic camping that is - now showers. We're heading to Mont du Lac in Wisconsin just 18 miles out of Duluth, MN for camping and bike racing. Portable solar shower, water bottles and a privacy curtain will be our shower. Weather promises to include sun, rain and night temperatures down around 50. Maybe we'll see the Minnesota state bird as well...

Oh, we'll be tourists while we are at it with a list of things we want to do: north shore drive to see some falls, see the light house, check out an art show, maybe catch an opera concert, stop at one of the famous smokehouse in Duluth (saw it on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

In getting things packed last night, I realize I have lost my brand new, very expensive, BikeIowa cycling jacket. I had it last weekend and was pretty sure I put it in the car after warming-up at the River Falls race in Wisconsin on Sunday. Is it possible I left it on the hood of the car, or that it fell off the tailgate and under the car? I don't know, but it is gone. I also couldn't find my reading glasses yesterday as I didn't remember where I had left them. That's 2 senior moments in one week and I'm not liking it...

Training wise, I felt surprisingly good yesterday after the Lake Ahquabi trial run Wednesday evening. I managed to do my weekly maintenance weight lifting, went back out to Ahquabi for a lap of Muscular Endurance intervals (low cadence, high power) where I successfully got my Camelbak functioning properly again. I had a kink in the hose and carefully packing the bladder in the pack properly and routing the house with more tension to keep it taught between bottom of bladder and the hook on the shoulder strap yeilded normal flow again. That is good news!!!

I also experimented with a 2nd bottle cage below the downtube for my Perpetuem primary fuel source bottle. I can make it work, but the two concerns are I will whack it on a technical obstacle (rocks or log), or the cattle and horse droppings (and dust) will soil the mouthpiece. The latter I could solve by using a flip top bottle, the former I don't know until I take it out to Banner or Center Trails to test the clearance issue. I have an option - thanks Rick - of trying one of the mountain feedbags next week to see if I want to go that route. The good news is that my options are now increasing and available.

Off to Duluth. Finger crossed the mini-van makes it there and back trouble free...

No comments: