8/7/12

A scheduled rest and recovery week...

Today is day 2 of my scheduled Rest & Recovery Week. Typically, a R&R week comes after 2 or 3 weeks of heavily loaded training and allows the body to super-compensate and "catch up" with the training effect. I did two build weeks where volume, intensity and the load was stacked up and stretched me to near the limit. This R&R week is actually a 5 day stretch where I utilize active recovery and some speed skills to maintain my training, but allow my muscles to grow and recover from what they have just been through.

Monday was totally off the bike. I worked in the office all day long and got a lot done with my Holocaust class for the fall. Tuesday was a recovery ride followed by an upper body workout at Lake Ahquabi where I spent 3 hours with the scythe trimming trail and using the loppers to trim the growth. Tomorrow will be another easy effort with 5 intervals of 1 minute in duration of top end speed and effort. Thursday and Friday will be easy efforts and by the weekend I should be recovered and chomping at the bit to race. I have a back to back XC weekend with the Swanson Park race in Omaha which is a joint race between the Nebraska Psycowpath Series and the Iowa IMBCS series. It is the final race in the Nebraska series and I am currently in 2nd place for that series. I cannot win the series as I missed a race due to Tara and Alexa's bat mitzvah, but I can gain points for the Iowa series. Sunday is a race for the Minnesota Mountain Biking Series, but will be held across the border in Wisconsin on the course that was formerly used and known as the Border Battle between the Minnesota and Wisconsin Series. Both races should be a nice weekend of racing and launch me into my next 2 week block of building for the big Dakota Five-0.

It's raining as I type this which is the 2nd storm in as few as 4 day's time. Very much needed and appreciated...

No comments: