3/27/10

Mass is removed and More Black Hills pictures...

I had a successful surgery yesterday. Checked in at Iowa Ortho at 10:30, got prepped and went for surgery around 12:15 or so and it took about 45 minutes or so. Tara had to drive me home thanks to the IV of Happy Drugs they gave me in the left arm and my right arm was totally numb from the IV in that arm to deaden the pain. I tried scratching my nose and literally poked myself in the eye since I couldn't feel anything. The mass was sent off to pathology to make sure it is okay, but I immediately got the feeling back in my thumb and first two fingers as the mass was pinching a nerve. That made the surgery worth it as I need that right hand for playing the piano, shaving, brushing my teeth and what not. All of that has been hard to do the past few months due to the numbness.

So. I'm happy the thing is out of my arm. I've got stitches and a bandage for 10 days until the follow up which I have to wrap in plastic to take a shower.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I downloaded some photographs from the Black Hills trip. The first one I managed to capture a pretty decent shot of Mt. Rushmore. When I was there, I was concerned that the pines up by the faces were all brown and possibly getting attacked by beetles or some bug. You can see how many of them are brown...

Mt. Rushmore

Alexa and her friend Jordan enjoyed our Rushmore "Monumental Breakfast" and the visit...

Mt. Rushmore with the girls

We had lunch with Grandpa at the Prairie Berry Winery in Hill City...

Dad and the girls

Then we headed down to Crazy Horse to check it out. A lot of progress has gone on since my childhood in the 70's when we lived in Rapid City. They still have a long ways to go, but I can't believe how much of the mountain has been blasted away for the beginnings of the horse to start to take shape. We should see a lot of development in the horse over the next decade...

Crazy Horse in the mist

Crazy Horse on a cold day

Of course, the girls had to visit Dinosaur Park which I think was built in 1937...

Bronto

Stegau

2 comments:

Iowagriz said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope to see you at Slyvan Island.

Alexa said...

Thanks Tom. I'll be there with tires that won't tear on the shrapnel or whatever that island is covered with... Let's hope the weather is prime.