2/11/10

Dogs won....

I gave up on the Chris King hub for this morning's ride and took the Dos Niner for the morning bike ride with the dogs. I wanted to see if the DT Swiss 240 would engage in the cold morning temps. Yup. No problem as it didn't skip a beat. But the Maxxis Aspens were not so adept on the snow and ice as the 2.4 Ardents are on the RIP. So the dogs handily beat me this morning as even with my best bike handling skills, I couldn't keep up as I bashed through drift after drift.

I've been so busy directing the opera and rehearsing until midnight and on weekends, that I have not sent my hubs off to the wheel builder. I need to find time to take the wheels apart on the Dos Niner and send the DT Swiss hubs off to Mike Curiak so he can lace up my new set of race weenie wheels for me. I'm going with the NoTubes Crest rims and finally saying good-bye to the Salsa Delgado Disc rims which have put in plenty of years of service for me. I took a pretty hard crash when I slipped off the trail in a WORS race in 2008 that ended up with my front wheel having a pretty nasty wobble and a big flat spot on the rim wall. I pounded out the rim wall with a wood block and hammer and trued up the wheel best I could. Even so, the LBS said it was not repairable or trustworthy, but I got it into line well enough to get another season and a half of racing out of it. But I feel it is time to "upgrade" to the new Crest tubeless rims with the 21mm inner rim wall cavity.

Confused and dazed is how I feel about all the fork and hub choices with the 9mm, 15mm TA and 20mm TA. My Dos has the 9mm, my RIP the 15mm and now Niner is giving those of us in the JET 9 recall an option to buy the new REBA XX with a 9mm or a 20mm option. The DT Swiss front hub is not able to convert, so I'm stuck with the 9mm on the Dos. I do have some hubs that can convert around (Flows on I9's, Blunts on Kings, and an AC that can go ac/dc with 9mm or 15mm). One more thing, but since I'm still square taper, ISIS, and Octalink - why not take on a bunch of hub standards while I'm at it....

More $$$$, more parts, more fiddling around time.

The Mikado opens tomorrow and the students are ready for an audience. I'll get to sleep after being up every night since January 11th rehearsing until all hours of the night. I am pooped....

1 comment:

九份 said...

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.............................................