1/23/10

Big Meat Tires!

After all the internet discussions regarding the Maxxis Ardent 2.4, I decided to mount up some big meat tires on the RIP 9 now that the snow has melted off of the streets. I put a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front and a lighter, race XC friendly Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 on the rear. I knew they would roll with less resistance than my Fire XC Pros, but man - they roll a heck of a lot better at least in the neighborhood which is about all the outdoor riding I can do this winter with the snow.

Regardless, here's the combo which feels pretty good (although I will probably toss my other Ardent 2.4 on the rear in spite of my weight weenie mindset).

RIPwBigMeat

And a different angle. The big volume tires are really perfect for the RIP and this bike is one fun machine. I should probably just sell everything else I own and ride this for everything. Two wheelsets, one for fun and one for racing, and I'd be set. Hmmmmmm....

RIPwMEAT

My skid plate and new 30T/40T custom rings arrived, so I can protect the bottom of the frame and move from my 22/32/38 rings to a 22/30/40 crankset. That's due to the crazy fit issues of an XT crankset with the RIP frame. They made clearance for those huge meat 2.4" tires to fit in the rear. However, what gave was the big ring clearance in the 42/44T sizes of an XT crankset because of the chainstay yoke's extra width to accommodate big tires. I was not creative enough or was too lazy to come up with another one of my cranksets on the RIP, so I just ordered Bruzed's custom XT rings. The 30 will be easier to push around for my XC climbing and the 40 will get used a lot in all the flatness of Iowa. The 20 or 22T (I have both) will be my bail out gear for the Black Hills when I ride out there.

I took 2 days off (outside of my 20 minute rides every morning with the dogs in the neighborhood) to recover from the 3 weeks of hypertrophy. The legs are still feeling it today, but I will do about 60 minutes on the trainer to work out the kinks before going on to more weights tomorrow. Ah....I got in from the dog walk/ride just in time as it is now pouring rain.

Rehearsals have been going well and ACT I is completely staged. We worked until 11 p.m. last night and today we'll work from 1-4. After Sunday nights ACT II musical rehearsal and choreography work session, we'll run ACT I twice on Monday night and then move on into ACT II staging on Tuesday. I've got a lot of prep work and choreography to figure out between now and Tuesday...

No rest for the weary...

No comments: