5/10/09

Back Home from Europe...

I got home Friday night around 8 pm from my trip to Europe. The trip was a blast and we actually had decent spring weather the entire time we were there. All 7 concerts were well attended.

I was only able to ride a bike one day while in Brugge, Belgium. I rented a bike and rode for 4 hours around the city's bike paths and streets. I couldn't get the city bike rental bikes in Paris to take my credit card without purchasing a one year subscription (49 Euros), so I just skipped riding in Paris and walked about 10 miles a day. I figured my training loss wasn't going to be any different by riding around Paris on a 3 speed or not.

Places where we stayed:

Amsterdam
Antwerp
Gent
Brugge
Normandy
Caen
Giverny
Orleans
Tours
Paris

We visited Amboise, Vilandry, Chambord and Chenonceaux castles in the Loire Valley and of course went to Omaha Beach, Notre Dame, Monet's Gardens, Mont-St-Michel, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, the Louvre, Rodin Museum, Da Vinci's home and museum in France, the Rijksmuseum, the Eiffel Tower, took many city guided walking tours, boat tours in canals/rivers, saw 2 Verdi operas at the Bastille (one had 2 of my good friends in the cast) and a lot of things that escape me at the moment. Plenty of good food and drink was enjoyed by all. I had mussels, rabbit, pigeon, goose, duck, lamb, pork, chicken, mystery meat and way too much fresh bread. The food in France is delicious.

It will take me a few days to get back on central time zone (especially since I caught a cold the last day in Paris before flying home).

I opted not to do the Psycowpath XC bike race yesterday in Nebraska since I only slept a few hours and had not been on a bike except one time in the past 2 weeks. So I went to Pella, Iowa with my wife and daughter for the Tulip Festival on Saturday. Considering I had just come from Holland - it was odd to be in the middle of conservative Pella, Iowa celebrating their old fashioned heritage. The weather and timing just didn't work too well this year in Pella as the tulips had passed their peak. Regardless, we had a good time seeing the sights, the parade and having some Dutch "junk food".

Time to get the kids up and prepare the Mother's Day breakfast...

No comments: