3/6/09

Final SMSP Block...

Yesterday called for an hour ride in HR Zone 2. I took advantage of the 78 degrees to head to Banner Pits and back.

Today was the 1st day of my final SMSP Interval Block.

Here's what I did for the peak minutes this season of these intervals:

Friday: 8 reps of 5 minutes on; 5 minutes off = total work time of 40 minutes

Edit - Saturday: 6 reps of 3 minutes on; 3 minutes off/6 reps of 2 minutes on; 2 minutes off/2 reps of 1 minute on; 1 minute off = total work time of 32 minutes

Sunday: Off due to eating too much Mexican Food

Monday: 12 reps of 1 minute on; 1 minute off; 5 reps of 2 minutes on; 2 minutes off; 2 reps of 4 minutes on; 4 minutes off = total work time of 30 minutes (done outside during a 2:15 hour ride)

Last year, I peaked at 44 minutes on this day and I peaked at 40 minutes the year before. I felt much stronger this year and not totally cooked after today's session due to my proper base building and handling of the phases leading up to this. I was able to hold a higher wattage and a higher heart rate today than in this peak day session one year ago. Make no mistake, a 5 minute SMSP interval had me barely hanging on the last 30 seconds of each rep, but I made it.

I will target shorter and higher intensity intervals the next 2 SMSP days before moving on to the MSP Interval Phase next weekend.

No comments: