1/12/09

Holocaust survivor - my mother-in-law...

The upcoming movie, Defiance, features the Bielski brothers who led Partisan members during WWII. My mother-in-law joined one of the Bielski brothers Partisan groups near the end of the war after she was kicked out of her own group (as a teenager) for failure to accept the "advances" by the leader of that particular reconnaissance group that spent a lot of time trying to blow up Nazi trains and train tracks. My mother-in-law was invited to a special screening of the movie Defiance and my wife and I can't wait to see it.

On top of that, my mother-in-law met the niece of Oskar Schindler (Schindler's List was about him) today in San Francisco and had a nice conversation. The telephone has been ringing off the hook for my mother-in-law with the upcoming movie, Defiance. But it is just one more item in a long list of things documenting her life. Steven Spielberg chose her interview as one of the live interviews about WWII to be featured at the Holocaust Museum in D.C. several years ago. It has been bittersweet to see her relive her experiences leading up to, during and after the war these past 18 years. Suffice it to say, that she has lived an incredible life. Here we are 65 years later documenting all of it on film, interview and through stories. To say it all took a toll on her would be the mild version of it. I doubt any of us could ever imagine what she has been through in her 83 years of experience on this earth.

Not much to say beyond that. The blizzard hit about 2 hours ago and the wind is howling. I got an hour in on the trainer today and am in weight loss mode for the rest of January. I took Zack to pick up his school permit today, so he will finally start driving himself to and from school and school activities starting tomorrow (providing the blizzard has blown on through town....).

No comments: