12/27/08

Back on the bike...

I survived the weight training phases of hypertrophy, strength and now I have moved into the final phase of power which is also the time I start the Endurance Phase which is back on the bike building up a base. Just in time, too, as all those Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hannukah calories started to edge my morning weight up from the mid 180's to the 188 area. Just like last year during the weight training phases, my left shoulder is shot. It feels like rotator cuff to me, but seems to get trashed when I increase weights on the lat pulls up to the 140 and 160lb range. I dialed it back this week to a high end of 100 and 120 on the lat pull so the shoulder wouldn't revolt. That seemed to do the trick, but I'm pretty sure I've got rotator cuff damage in there from life in the 40's.

This year, I did stay on the bike through hypertrophy and strength phase enough to keep a little bit of the top end (via leadouts, sprint and minimal 1 minute on; 1 minute off SMSP intervals) and transfer the muscle gained strength from the weights to the bike. Not a lot of volume, but enough to keep the legs in cycling shape. But those 30 - 40 minute "keep in shaper" sessions morphed into last night's first endurance phase ride. 2 hours on the C7i in the basement with classic rock and roll jacked up and three bottles of water were just the ticket to get some calorie burn going. I did find it difficult to keep the cadence and effort down in the proper zone as I wanted to let it rip. But I held myself in check and managed to stay in the target zone for the duration.

The ICE is here!!!

Tara, Zack and I spent Friday morning chipping and clearing the 2 inch thick ice covering on the sidewalks and driveway as temperatures rose all the way up to 57 degrees. The whole neighborhood was out removing all the ice with whatever tools we could find in our sheds and garages. All that effort, only to wake up this morning to freezing rain and a total shellacking of everything outside for another layer of fresh ice. My niece is arriving this afternoon at 1 pm from San Francisco via Denver. It looks like the Des Moines airport is open and running with only about 15 minute delays, but driving up there is not going to be a picnic. It's like an ice rink out there right now as the ice/rain continues to fall. Tree limbs are sagging and icicles are hanging from everything.

No comments: