9/1/08

Labor Day and September...

I missed racing this weekend, but there was plenty to do here at home. I'm anxious to hear the results of the Boone and the Dakota 5-0. Everyone is feeling healthy today in our house, so my nursing duties are over and our routine can get back to normal.

Zack's varsity football team won their opening game against Hoover on Friday night with a final score of 51-14. Their fallen teammate has still not awakened in the hospital from last Tuesday's blow to the head during practice. Continued thoughts and prayers for his recovery occupy the entire community at the moment.

I managed to get some training in at Lake Ahquabi yesterday by doing 3 full laps. My time was about one minute slower than my race time in spite of all the bumped up training. My legs felt good at times, but it was hard to keep a simulated race pace going for all three laps. Nevertheless, I felt I needed to be out there and pushing myself to keep on pace for the season ending races. I lifted weights today (upper body) and did my first cross training of the fall season. I ran for 2 miles and worked up to a 7.5 minute mile pace. I'm sure my knees, back and legs will be talking to me tomorrow after that.

The rest of my Labor Day weekend involves a lot of labor. I will get all furniture removed from the basement today in preparations for the carpet installers who arrive on Thursday to install the new carpet and remove the flood damaged carpet. At least it is cool in the basement which will be nice on a hot and humid 90 degree day.

No comments: