9/16/08

Final 2 weekends of XC racing on tap...

I've prepped myself for the final races of the season, but wish that the rain cancellation and subsequent reschedule didn't have the cards stacked so I have back to back races this Saturday and Sunday. But, that's how it looks. Whether or not I do both the Psycowpath and IMBCS this weekend remains to be seen. For certain, I will be racing Sugar Bottom on Sunday and next week at Lake Manawa. I'll see how I feel at the end of the week. I know Sugar Bottom takes a lot of juice to power through with the climbs, roots and length of the course. The Nebraska race on Saturday is on a course I have never ridden, so I'm not sure what is required and how to pace myself for 2 in a row. So we'll see...

I hit the trainer hard yesterday with a good interval session before work. I know that these devices are not the most accurate measurement of wattage when compared with a power measuring device on a bike out on the road, but as long as I use the same trainers on a consistent basis I can measure improvement month to month and year over year - regardless of what the wattage says on the machine. My goal this year was to increase my tolerance at the lactate threshold and ride at a lower body weight than last year. I also was targeting working harder on the hard training days, and resting better between training efforts. Comparing my numbers this year to that of last year at this time, it appears I have reached most of my goals.

I rode at a weight of 185 - 188 last year and this year I have been riding at a weight of 179 - 184. With the carb loading and subsequent water retention, I've had trouble keeping my weight down at 180 for race day. I still would like to be riding at a weight 5 - 15 pounds less than I am right now, but that will be next year's goal. And I have room for additional improvement to increase my tolerance at LT next year. I know that a reduction of 15 pounds would mean a gain of around 50 watts on your typical mountain bike climb. I don't think any amount of training over the course of the next year is going to give me 50 watts!! But dropping the weight would. That would be most beneficial on courses with lots of climbing and would be ideal events to target, but I'll evaluate everything in a few weeks in preparation for next year.

Today is a scheduled "off" day, but I'm going to do an easy commute on my bike to work and back since the weather is ideal. Edit: And mow the lawn...

No comments: