3/3/07

Lunar Eclipse This Blizzard Stuff...

Tonight looks to be set up for perfect viewing weather of the first lunar eclipse for 2007. I'll be out with the kids trying to catch a good glimpse between 5:50 - 6:10 p.m.

It sure beats the past 2 days of staring at the sideways snow and general blizzard conditions. Having grown up in the Dakotas, a calm day usually is when the wind dies down to around 30 - 35 mph. So I felt right at home in the stuff and didn't complain too much about having to go to work (Simpson never closes) even though my kids were home due to the public school closings. I still have a few drifts in the driveway I need to get to today and tomorrow.

A baritone guest artist named Nathaniel Gunn was to have given a recital on Friday night at Sheslow Auditorium on the Drake Campus. Since Drake shut its doors on Friday due to the weather, we opened up the recital to be held on the Simpson Campus instead as an alternative location. Everything was set up and Nathaniel came down to check out Great Hall and get ready. Then it snowed silly sideways from about 4 - 6 p.m. and the Civic Music Association in Des Moines pulled the plug for fear of people having to drive in such nasty weather. Gunn had driven out here from Illinois with his wife to perform and was all ready to go, but the weather just wasn't playing nice. Turns out, things cleared up about an hour before the recital was to commence, but it had already been canceled. Oh well...life likes to prove itself as often as possible that it is not circuitous. Luckily, he was able to do a Masterclass with the Simpson and Drake voice students this morning on the Simpson campus at 10 a.m. Sounds like the Civic Music Association will try to reschedule his recital at some point in the future.

I am gearing up to begin the MSP interval phase. A little more recovery and I will be ready to go. I think I will do an easy ride today and toss in a few reps of 1 minute just checking to see if you still work intervals. Heart rate during the entire SMSP phase was interesting to me. I've never really been a big follower of heart rate as I don't have a computer on any of my bikes. I know my resting heart rate is usually around 48 bpm range in the morning. I have read all of those articles and opinions on the 220 - age formula, and the many varieties of that formula surrounding thousands and thousands of dollars of research money being spent in university laboratories on coming up with a definitive formula and what it all means. I like the Dave Morris approach where you are focused on producing the power and not concerned with the heart rate.

Lets take an example. Karvonen.

Karvonen this:

What factors affect aerobic training?

Frequency, duration and intensity. Frequency refers to how often you perform aerobic activity, duration refers to the time spent at each session, and intensity refers to the percentage of your maximum heart rate or heart rate reserve at which you work.

How often should I train? How hard? For how long?

Most experts believe that 3-5 times per week for a duration of 20-60 minutes at 60-90% of age specific maximal heart rate or 50-85% of VO2max (heart rate reserve).

The general formula for the average person is 220 age X 60% and X 90% of HRmax. For example, a 30 year old would calculate his target zone using the above formula: 220-30=190. 190x.60=114 and 190x.90=171. This individual would try to keep his heart rate between 114 (low end) and 171 (high end) beats per minute.

The Karvonen Formula calculates your heart rate reserve range. To calculate it, take your pulse for one minute on three successive mornings upon waking up. (We will be using the case of a 30 year old male whose resting pulse was 69,70 and 71 for an average of 70 over the 3 days.)

Calculate target heart rate by subtracting your age from 220
(220-30=190).

Subtract your average resting heart rate from target heart rate
(190-70=120).

The lower boundary of the percentage range is 50% of this plus your resting heart rate [(120 x .5) + 70 = 130]. The higher boundary is 85% plus your RHR [(120 x .85) + 70 =172]. Using the Karvonen Formula for percentage of heart rate reserve, this 30 year old man should be working between 130 and 172 BPM.

Say what? I had better dig out the old ACT sub-score for Math to see if I should even attempt this in public to plug in my age (45) and my resting heart rate (48). ;-)

Okay.

220 - 45 (age) = 175 MHR
175 x .6 = 105 (lower boundary)
175 x .9 = 157.5 (upper boundary)

175 - 48 (resting HR) = 127
(127 x .5 )+ 48 = 111.5 (lower boundary)
(127 x. 85) + 48 = 155.95 (upper boundary)

How about this website? : http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.shtml

They have 3 formulas at that site and a calculator to plug in your information. Doing so, will pull up a table of percentages (intensity levels) from 100% down and the corresponding target heart rates for each in a table format. The three formulas include the Karvonen (220 - age) and 2 others (one has my MHR at 182.5 and the other has my MHR at 178). I guess that all sounds about right. 175 - 182.5 allows for the old give or take 4 or 5 beats and there you have it.

Those numbers seem to jive with what I seem to find my HR top out at around 170 - 176 in the 1 minute duration SMSP intervals - no matter what the wattage. During some of the 2, 3 and 4 minute intervals - I was able to crank it up to 177 and hit 180 a couple of times without passing out although I could feel I was on the limit. I've run my numbers through a few other formulas as well and give or take a few beats - I figure it is somewhere in the 175 - 183 range. But, can I make the wattage or the power? That is the question. "To make, or not to make..."

Enough of that. Time for a little recovery spin....

No comments: